Cheddar Cheese Dog Treats – Happy 21st Birthday Bogart!
April 15, 2011 § 4 Comments
I know, I know. Birthday treats for dogs?
I couldn’t help myself. Every year around April 15, I try to do something special for my little canine son. No one really knows exactly when he was born (April 15-20 is the best guestimate), so here’s what I did for him on his 21st birthday! (1 dog year = 7 human years, therefore 3 dog years = 21 human years)
This is my favorite picture of him, it’s not fancy or great quality, but he looks so happy!
Bogart loves these treats. Yes, they’re a little bit more complicated than going to the pet store and picking up a pre-made bag, but it was quite fun making my own, especially knowing what went into his food. And clearly, it received a complete seal of approval.
Note: Please re-knead and roll out the remaining scraps every time you cut out the shapes!
Cheddar Cheese Dog Biscuits Recipe
Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups whole wheat flour plus 1/2 – 3/4 cup for flouring/rolling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, margarine, and boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes. Grease cookie sheets.
- Thoroughly stir in flour, sugar, bouillon, milk, Cheddar cheese, and egg. Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, until a stiff dough has formed.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface, mixing in additional flour as necessary until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Roll or pat out dough to 1/2″ thickness. Cut with cookie cutter (I prefer bone shaped), and place 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cool before serving. Store in a loosely covered container.