October 4, 2011 § 2 Comments
My first salad on COZYBOGIE! Which strikes me as a little odd because I eat salad quite frequently…but oh well. 🙂
I wish I could say that I concocted this amazing mixture myself, but again, I have to give credit where it’s rightfully due to my darling Amanda. (She will be on SOON for a delicious guest-post!)
1. You can use marinated mozzarella or plain Bocconcino for this, just don’t add as much salt when you use the marinated mozzarella.
2. Heirloom tomatoes taste best with this! But in a pinch grape or cherry tomatoes will do.
3. This is SUPER FAST (20 minutes max – and 15 minutes of that is just waiting) and delicious.
4. I like the ratio of 1 cheese to 2 bites of tomato. But of course, you can switch it up.
Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad Recipe
- 1 lb heirloom tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces if they are too big
- 1 small container of marinated mozzarella or bocconcino
- 1/4-1/2 coarse sea salt (start with 1/4 teaspoon, add more to suit your taste)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded basil leaves
- Rinse and wash the tomatoes and basil. Place tomatoes in a large bowl for mixing.
- For bite-sized pieces, halve or quarter the cheese and place into the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and olive oil over the tomatoes and cheese and mix gently so that all is coated.
- Top with the fresh basil leaves, I like to tear them by hand but for a prettier presentation it’s fine to slice them. Mix a few times and let it stand for 15 minutes for the flavors to combine.