Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Stew) 김치찌개 – UPDATED
April 17, 2016 § Leave a comment
I posted my previous kimchi jjigae post FIVE YEARS AGO. Wow.
Since then, I have tweaked and updated my original recipe to something entirely elevated to a new level, with a lot of help from the QUEEN herself (Maangchi). I honestly love her videos, personality, ability, and spirit so much and have been infinitely inspired by her creativity and passion on a weekly basis. This new kimchi jjigae recipe is an adaptation of her recent update to her recipe here.
Here is a new video I made for this updated recipe:
1. You can use either pork or beef, but pork definitely imparts a more velvety-flavor that goes hand in hand with kimchi. Mmm….
2. Pork belly is also great for this, but perhaps a little more fatty (is this a bad thing?)
3. If you are using the last of your kimchi, don’t just throw away the jar! Pour some water in there and pour the little juices/spices into the stew. The more flavor, the better.
4. Must eat with rice.
5. Feel free to add tofu or vermicelli noodles!
Kimchi Jigae Recipe – Kimchi Stew
- 6-8 dried kelp squares
- 8-10 dried Korean anchovies (heads and guts removed)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radish
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups water
- 2 lbs pork ribs/bones
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pork loin
- 4 cups ripe kimchi, sliced (with juices)
- 3 green onion stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2-1 tsp gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 1 tsp gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 1 cup thinly sliced rice cakes* optional
- green pepper* optional
- Add kelp, anchovies, radish, and onion to a medium pot. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer for 25 minutes. Strain, and reserve the broth.
- To a large skillet, add pork ribs/bones and cover with kimchi and then pork loin. Top with green onion. Add reserved broth.
- Bring pork and kimchi mixture to a boil on medium high heat. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sesame oil, gochugaru, and gochujang.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then taste to adjust for additional seasoning (if necessary).
- Add rice cakes (if using), green pepper, and green onion for garnish.
- Serve with rice.
Leave a Reply